Tuesday 21 April 2020

Elderly Cats

This blog is written by our wonderful receptionist Rhian who has a senior cat, she has written up some tips and tricks on how to help adjust your home to give the best to your elderly companion:


When I started working for Cats Protection I was shocked to learn that my cat of 15 years is classed as an elderly cat.  What!? But he’s still my little baby??  Once I recovered from my shock and did some research on this I soon came to realise that this is nothing to be sad or worried about, it just means there are some positive changes I can make to help improve my cat’s quality of life and further enhance our very special relationship.  Here are some of the handy hints I’ve learnt.
 


 Arthritis can affect many older cats.  It may get worse in the cold so I have provided additional warm and dry places for him to sleep on soft, padded bedding, some near radiators.  All areas are easily accessible but if this proves to be an issue in future with his mobility then ramps and stools can be an option.  Older cats can find it difficult to make calculations when jumping so this is a great excuse for me to go online and order some extra cushions to strategically place around the house.

Extra grooming is recommended in-case our OAP’s are struggling to get to all areas, this is great news as my cat will enjoy this and it’s a great stress reliver for me.  Regular play times will provide a nice routine for my cat, will help in moderating his weight which can help with arthritis, provide him with some mental stimulation, get me off the couch and release those happy hormones for both of us.




I have added an extra water bowl downstairs as I hadn’t considered the extra effort it was taking him to have to go upstairs just for a drink of water.  I hadn’t considered his ageing teeth and I wonder if this is why he likes his pate so much? Warming his food to enhance the smell and mushing this up may be something else I can consider; he already prefers having his treats and cooked chicken handed to him which is a good strategy to encourage eating.  A trip to the vet will be a big help to us in assessing his teeth and how best to help him with these.

My cat does not have a litter tray!  I’ll buy him a new tray as soon as possible, ensuring the sides are low enough for him to climb into, there’s plenty of space for him to move around and try a variety of litters that are soft enough for his elderly paws.  He might still prefer to toilet outdoors but he may feel intimidated by other cats in his old age so I could make a toileting area in the bedding close to the house which would make him feel safe or accompany him on his ablutions.




I have learnt that the vet need not always be a scary experience for me and my cat but that the vet can help me to find ways to improve my cat’s quality of life.  The vet can weigh my cat to help us with weight management, give me the option of a blood test to check kidney function and give me practical advice about how to manage his claws now that his wandering days are behind him.

For more information on Cats Protection Cats please check out our guide here:

https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-advice/health/elderly-cats

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading this, Rhian. Dylan looks a very handsome boy at 15!!

    ReplyDelete